What is Snapchat events marketing?Marketing your event through Snapchat is a way to capture a younger and more imaginative audience in new and creative ways. It allows you to share real-time updates about your event, as well as behind the scenes shots of you and your crew. Not to mention that with Snapchat, you can create excitement around your event with filters, stickers, .gifs and more and encourage your followers to join in on the fun with snaps and stories.
Do you have a big event coming up? Have you been advertising it using various social platforms like Facebook, Linkedin, or Instagram? If so, great!
But Snapchat events marketing can also be a beneficial method for event promotion!
Though Snapchat’s logo is a ghost, it’s really not that scary.
Snapchat has over 200 million monthly users. That’s no small number and it’s double the monthly users on Linkedin! Further, Snapchat is very popular with young females and with students. Around seventy percent of users are women under 25. Go girls!
What’s with the love for Snapchat?
One reason for this love is the ease of sharing live experiences virtually. Snapchat allows users to send pictures, videos, and messages to other users that disappear after a short amount of time. Additionally, users can post photos and videos to their “Story.” This allows the viewer’s followers to see the “Story” for 24 hours. Because Snapchat posts have a temporary lifespan, it has become a very unique social platform. Now for the point of this blog, Snapchat is a perfect network for event marketing. The temporary experience that Snapchat allows can have a tremendous impact on your event.
Tell me more….
Have you ever heard of FOMO or the “fear of missing out?” Snapchat is a social platform that drives a sense of FOMO into its users. This can help increase buzz and ticket sales, especially if people are seeing familiar people saying that they will attend the event. Snapchats are instantaneous, so users will see their friends and family enjoying your event live.
Did you know Snapchat built their app with events in mind? The app was built so Snapchatters who are at the same event can intermingle. Additionally, if you can’t make it to the event, you will feel as if you are still there by seeing everyone else's Snapchats.
Snapchat has definitely had success through focusing on events. Fun fact, Snapchat is the third most popular social media network at music festivals right now. Believe it or not, over half of the people who attend music festivals use Snapchat and twenty five percent of them use a Snapchat filter pertaining to the event. If you don’t know what a filter is, it is a frame-like illustration that users can place on their pictures. With the use of a filter and a picture from the event location, your event is sure to get more promotion.
Follow these steps to incorporate Snapchat into your next big event:
Develop an Event Story on Snapchat
With Snapchat, you are able to make a user account for your specific event. This will allow you to engage directly with your event audience. The user account will permit you to publish a “Story” and share content that your fans can see.
Wondering what content to showcase on the “Story” for your event?
- Take pictures and videos during the event. Show off what’s going on for the people who couldn’t make an appearance.
- Give your fans a behind-the-scenes peek. Show them preparations before the event and what is going on to make the event happen.
- Hint at a surprise. Your users will expect something to happen, but subtle hints can help shape the excitement.
- Reveal your speakers, sponsors, food booths, accessories, and performers to psych up your audience.
- If your event is lacking in photo opportunities, don’t worry! You can still be creative. Snapchat allows you to add emojis, stickers, text, and it even lets you draw on the pictures. Take advantage of fun facts about the event, share a hashtag, or reveal a coupon code.
Snapchat is a fun social platform, so don’t get too overwhelmed trying to think of what to post. Just keep in mind that people need to know you’re active on Snapchat to improve engagement. One great way to spread the word is by using the QR code, which is unique for each Snapchat account. When a user scans your QR code with their Snapchat app, your account will pop up and they will be able to follow you on Snapchat. A good way to increase engagement is to have your QR code as the profile picture of a different social media account. If you don’t think that is aesthetically pleasing, you can post a picture of your QR code on your other social accounts. This will really help spread the word.
Make a Geofilter for the Event
Build a connection with your users by creating a custom geofilter for the event. What’s a geofilter you ask? A geofilter is a filter for Snapchat pictures that are only able to be used at a specific location. If you have a Snapchat, you have most likely swiped over and seen a geofilter. They will have the name of the city you are in or they can be a filter for a cultural or seasonal event. There are many more geofilter options, but that just names a few.
How do you create a geofilter for your brand? It’s no too difficult to create a geofilter. All you have to do is submit a custom illustration to Snapchat. Snapchat will review it within a few days. Once approved, any photos or videos that are taken at the location of your event can be layered with your geofilter. Talk about good advertisement!
A Little More in Depth
- With the geofilter, you will be able to choose the amount of time that the filter is active and of course the location. Be sure to time out your filter so that it’s active before and after the event. Additionally, include a buffer for your location so that it is available to an even larger audience.
- Be sure to submit your geofilter to Snapchat three to four days in advance.
- Submit your illustration to the Snapchat website!
- Geofilters are not free, but they are cost-effective. Prices begin at $5 for 20,000 square feet.
Anyone who sees your geofilter through a Snapchat “Story” or through messaging through friends will be exposed to your brand. Additionally, users are able to download images once it is taken, so they will also be able to post it to other social platforms.
Think About These Tips When Creating and Designing a Geofilter for Your Event:
- The size of geofilters are 1080 x 1920 pixels. Additionally, they should be saved in a PNG format and they should be less than 300 kb in size. One last thing, make sure there is a clear background!
- Include your business name in the geofilter. Beware though, you are unable to use phone numbers, URLs, and emails in the filter.
- Use the event hashtag in the geofilter to expand advertisement to other social outlets.
- Make sure you have the rights to your brand and logo!
- Be sure to use just the top and/or the bottom quarter of the screen. Your audience doesn’t want their picture completely covered!
- Use the templates that Snapchat already has available for geofilters. You’ll be easily be able to edit them and download them from the online support page.
Though the geofilter will be present only during the event, it will build enthusiasm and awareness for your next one-big or small. This is especially true if your audience appears to be having a great time! In closing, Snapchat will not just build awareness, but it will also promote your brand.